Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Spanking

This past semester, I took three classes but two had labs, so I consider it five classes: Medical Math, Physiology, Physiology lab, Chemistry, and Chemistry lab.

That's 12 credits for those of you keeping score. It was not pleasant; however, it was necessary.

The medical math class was a giant joke. "If you have an order to give a patient 500mg of Drug X and you have a bottle full of 250mg pills of Drug X, how many pills do you administer to the patient?" Really, math class? Really? Yes, really. The hardest thing was pH (as in, pH = -log [H3O+]), and that wasn't even that hard because they would give you the H3O+ concentration, and all you had to do was plug it into the equation.

The Physio lecture and lab were apparently easy. My teacher already posted our grades (I took the test today at 5:30pm), and I got a 95.5% on the final, with a 94.5% total. Which is an A. YESSSSSS!

The Chemistry class was easy. The lab was also easy. I have a 96.7% average in the lecture. So naturally, I thought the final would be nice and leisurely.

I was wrong. So very wrong.

The very first question was something along the vein of this (I don't remember exact numbers):

How many molecules of chlorine do you have if you have 125mL of 0.03M hydrochloric acid solution?

I think I figured it out. But I'm not sure. And that's scary, because I'm usually sure.

The allotted test time was 2 hours. There were 55 questions. I was chugging away on my test, scribbling out the answer to #22, when the teacher said, "You have one hour left, guys."

WHAT?! It's been an hour and I'm not even half done?! I don't normally never freak out during tests. What's the opposite of test anxiety? That's what I have. Tests don't phase my brain one tiny bit. But after she gave her hour warning, I seriously plummeted into test-panic mode. I forgot how to do redox reactions. REDOX!!!!! It's the easiest reaction that exists!! AND I HAD TO GUESS!


I think I captured my opinion of the test fairly well with my Facebook post written just after I walked out of the classroom. I've edited it a little, but the spirit of the original message is still there:

It was a bloodsucking brain-shredding zombie cyborg ninja witch sent from the depths of Hades to ravage my 4.0 GPA until it screamed for the sweet, merciful peace of death.

Seriously, I have a 97% in the class. I thought I understood the material. I had TWO 3x5 CHEAT CARDS for fuck's sake! And you know what? They did nothing. Just like goggles.


 So now I get to wig out and lose hair to stress while I wait for grades to be posted. They can be posted as late as the 11th. Guys, I don't know if I'm going to make it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry. The amount of help notes are on tests the farther you go in school can be modeled as a decaying exponential. I have a snarky picture of a decaying exponential but I don't know how to post it as a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd just have to post the link to it. I don't think you can post a picture as a comment.

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments