Camille is six months old, but we haven't really gotten her any new toys since... uhh... well, a while. We got her a new rattle and a squishy book for the plane trip to Florida, but those weren't really new toys - they were just new versions of toys she already had.
Camille has been on the verge of crawling for about a week now.
Should I get toys that encourage her to crawl and/or walk?
We're thinking that, instead of putting her in the baby tub, we should just fill the normal tub with a couple inches of water and let her splash around.
Should I get baby bath toys?
She likes to bang together measuring spoons in the kitchen.
Should I get actual baby toys that she can bang together?
All the websites say that, at her development, she should like stacking toys and toys that do something cool when she does something to them.
Should I get those toys?
Or does she already have enough toys? Should I not rely on toys to keep her entertained and instead interact with her more myself? If I do get toys, which ones are more important to get and will last longer? We don't have a ton of money to spend on baby toys, so I'd want to get toys that will have the greatest impact.
Ugh, who knew gaudily-colored plastic baby toys would cause me so much mental anguish?
I went through the same freaking thing with my son; like I was impeding his development if he didn't have every. single. toy. in the universe he would be dreadfully behind all the other kids. Well, our house is overflowing with toys (luckily not bought by me but family) and he does not play with much; he likes a simple toy hammer, a used water bottle with the cap on and a little table that lights up and sings. He also digs any kitchen utensil and the surround sound base box.
ReplyDeleteSo, I don't think babies need or require any sort of toy that can be bought. Like I said, he turned a water bottle into his new favorite thing.
Hmmm good point... I used to buy our dog all kinds of expensive fancy dog toys, but her favorite thing to play with was empty milk jugs. Same with babies, I guess! I've heard that measuring spoons and cups are fun for babies, but ours are all metal. She likes the spoons but she doesn't care for the cups much. Maybe I'll just get a cheap set of plastic measuring cups and call it a day. :P
ReplyDeleteBath tub: Jack out of necessity (he outgrew his baby tub due to his ridiculous length) has been in the regular tub on a spongy mat ($5 at Target Munchkin brand) for about a month. He loves it! I got him a bag of fish squirters that I fill up with water and squirt at him. He thinks that is pretty good times. Those were super cheap as well.
ReplyDeleteStackers? hmmm. Can't she just stack stuff you already own? Push toys: I heard are dangerous. Just try the carrot in front of the horse's face trick with her toys.
The only thing I really advocate buying are books. Keep a fresh supply of black and white, red and green illustrated books that she can learn to look at, munch on, drool all over the pages. I love the Good Night Moon Room book. It's a pop up book that converts to a 3-d version of the classic room. Complete with a little rabbit sitting up in bed.
Oh my.Sorry for the long post. And always do what makes sense to you. You're a smart chicky.
The only stuff we have that is stackable is kitchen stuff, and since I'm a kitchen snob, I have metal and glass everything, nothing plastic. We don't even have any plastic cups anywhere (except her sippy cup, and there's just one of those). I was thinking of getting one of those wooden stacker things, the pole in the middle with the colorful donuts to stack on it. I don't know what it's called. I had one as a kid and I remember that thing was pretty tits.
ReplyDeleteWe've got a ton of books for her! But I suck at remembering to read them to her. They're all upstairs in her room. I read one to her at bedtime but I totally forget about them unless I'm up there. I read my physiology textbook to her, so I can study and still make her feel like she's not being neglected!
Maybe a stacker is in order then... I like the Melissa and Doug brand of wooden toys. They are pretty Schweet.
ReplyDelete