Saturday, April 9, 2011

Opinion: TTC TMI?

Most modern mothers with Internet access have ventured onto some kind of pregnancy/baby forum or website. These same mothers have probably seen the term "TTC" at some point, and many may have found themselves wondering WTF that meant.

Well, it means "Trying To Conceive," and is a common topic for pregnancy forums. There are discussions on how to make yourself more fertile, the best times to do it, the best foods to eat, what kind of underwear your man should or should not wear, and how to bang so you get a boy/girl/whatever.

I've been uncomfortable with the TTC topics ever since I figured out that TTC is synonymous with "having lots of unprotected sexy times" -- which took me about 3 seconds. It's not that I'm a prude or anything, but I still don't want to actively think about other people having sex. Jake says it's because I have a Mormon within me, aching to be free, but I think it's because I have a sense of propriety. 

Anyway, has anyone else ever had someone tell them they're "trying to have a baby," and actually thought about what that really means? Like, one of your friends is like "yeah we're trying to have a baby" and you've thought of that person and their spouse naked and getting busy? Because I do. I can't help it. It's instantaneous. I turn it off almost immediately, but it's still there, and sometimes it makes me want to pour bleach into my skull.

This is the kind of thing I wonder about when I'm bored.

4 comments:

  1. Nope, I think it, too. It's the image that pops into your head before you even realize it and it's too late to do anything about it. :/ It's one of those topics that, while I don't mind that my friends are having sex, I don't want to talk or think about it because my mind goes straight for the visual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm. I do think it is annoying when people tell me their biz about TTC. At first I thought this was going to be about you trying to having another baby...I was appalled.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, glad I'm not alone. And Molly, nooooooooooo not having another baby any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST had this conversation last week! Like, it's fine when you announce you're pregnant, but constantly telling people you're "trying" is just gross. I don't want to know about anyone else's sex life, ESPECIALLY AT WORK lol

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments