It's April! The sun is shining! The birds are singing! The snow is melting!
On the Spring Equinox every year, I start getting things ready for gardening. Even though we live in an apartment, I still keep a little balcony salsa garden. Having live plants somewhere in my house is a requirement for my mental well-being. I survived the winter because of my fishtank plants, and now that spring is here, I can have terrestrial plants as well!
I still had a bunch of seeds from last year, so I did the "are they still good?" test. I filled a small bowl with water and dumped the seeds in. Those that floated got trashed. Those that sank got poured onto a paper towel, had extra water squeezed out, and then were place in plastic bags labeled with what kind of seeds they were. All of my seed packets from last year had at least a few that were still good, so it looks like I don't have to buy any seeds this year. Yay!
The plastic bags were stacked on each other and placed in our downstairs bathroom. It's dark and warm in there, and that's what germinating seeds like.
I did all that yesterday. I'm expecting the cucumbers to start sprouting any minute. Last year, they sprouted up out of soil in like 2 days and just went bananas. As of now, there have been no sprouts.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I <3 Comments