Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Amazon Mom

No, I'm not talking about this:
But I kind of wish I were.

I'm talking about this:
Amazon.com (which I lovelovelovelovelove) has a new feature called Amazon Mom. It describes itself thusly:

"Amazon Mom is a free membership program aimed at helping parents and caregivers, from the prenatal days through the toddler years, use Amazon to find all the products their family needs. To join, simply sign into your Amazon account and tell us whether you are a Mom, Dad, or other caregivers of a child. By providing some optional information about your family, you can help us personalize offers, e-mails, and product recommendations to help you find exactly what you need at just the right time. Amazon Mom members receive benefits such as 30% off diapers and wipes, FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime, as well as exclusive offers via e-mail."

I thought I'd sign up for it and give it a whirl. It's entirely possible that I won't even use it, because I'm pretty bad at planning ahead far enough to order something before I need it. I'll probably be digging around in my last box of diapers only to find it empty, and only then think, "SHIT I should have ordered more, like, a week ago." Then I'll toss the Beast in the car and drive my happy ass to Walmart or Costco or wherever I can buy a shit-ton of diapers for cheapsies.

I imagine Amazon Mom might come in handy for things other than diapers, though. I registered for and bought only the bare essentials, so I expect I'll soon be lamenting that I didn't buy this or that or stuff. And eventually, the Beast is going to need toys. I didn't get any toys for him/her (although I was gifted several stuffed amninals and a couple of bouncy chairs with dangly fun things) because I didn't think a newborn would have any interest in alphabet blocks or... whatever it is childrens play with these days.

Back in MY day, we didn't HAVE toys to play with. We played with ROCKS. And you know what? We were damn grateful just to HAVE ROCKS!

Also, I'm counting on the dog to provide a lot of entertainment for the Beast. I'm creating prototype Velcro suits for both dog and baby, so we can just Velcro them together. Sophie can be the babysitter (because if I don't know where she and the Beast are, I can just shake her treat can and she'll come running) AND entertainment.

3 comments:

  1. The kid won't need toys. Not with what I'm going teach it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to experience the gamut of "fun" things that you're going to teach our child, Jake. Actually, now that I think about it, I need to find all the Sharpies in the house and hide them under the mattress... I MEAN NOT UNDER THE MATTRESS. O_o

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments