Riley Dean was the name of my dad's younger brother (so technically, my uncle), who died when he was a year old. I was always planning on selecting a middle name as an homage to someone in my or Jake's family, so Riley seemed appropriate. Plus, I like it.
Jake has been throwing our list of names around to his coworkers, and apparently they all think that Riley would make a great name... for a girl. Riley has morphed from a boy's name to a girl's name, it would seem, and Jake isn't too keen on naming our boy a boy's name that is now a girl's name.
I had a boy name growing up (which has now become a girl's name), and it didn't affect me negatively. I think a boy having a girl's name might be different, though. I knew a boy in elementary school named Loren, and he was definitely teased about it.
We're not going to move Riley to the girl list, because we both really like all of our girl names (especially Shanequa). I think Riley will probably end up as the middle name, but possibly not. If we decide on Asher as the first name, Riley will NOT be the middle name, as then the initials would be ARS. Hmm... funny, but no.
Maybe we can use Riley as a middle name...Cael Riley?
ReplyDelete