Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baby's Boo Boo

We just got back from the pediatrician's and experienced Camille's first shot since she left the hospital. I'm soooo glad Jake came with me. If he hadn't, I'd probably still be there, crying and apologizing to Camille.

We got her growth charts today, and she's pretty much right in the middle of the percentages.

11 lbs 13 oz
22 1/4 inches long
38 1/4 head circumference

According to the doc, we should keep doing what we've been doing. Yessssssss.

The doc left and the nurse came in. She gave Camille permission to hate her until she reached 5 years of age, then she stuck her with the needle (we decided to go with Hep B because Tanya made me scared of baby rapists). The nurse was so fast that Camille didn't even start crying until the needle was already out and in the sharps container. Then she started screaming. It was a cry unlike any cry she's made before. I know what her "I'm wet" cry, "I'm hungry" cry, and "I spit my binky out" cry is like, and now I know what her "owieowieowie" cry is like.

She howled pretty loud for about 15 seconds, followed by about 10 seconds of a less-intense cry, followed by about 5 seconds of her normal uncomfortable cry, and then she was quiet. She had intermittent little wails, but mostly she was done crying after a minute.

I, on the other hand, am still leaking tears.

Here are some pics of her since we got home from this traumatic ordeal.

Zzzzz...

....zzzzzzz....

Boo boo. :(

I keep checking to make sure she's breathing, since I'm convinced she's having an adverse reaction to the shot and that's why she's so quiet.

I didn't give her baby Tylenol or anything to help with the pain, since I'm an advocate of suckin' it up. Well, I'm usually an advocate of suckin' it up. Today, I suggested to Jake that we go get her some baby Tylenol and he reminded me of my suckin'-it-up philosophy. Oh yeah, suckin' it up... that's right. OK, no baby Tylenol. I guess.  :(

I also didn't feed her after the shot. I don't want to teach her that food is a comfort when she's feeling down (or in pain). Psychologically, I think there's such a fatty fatty fat fat epidemic in the US because we pop a bottle in our babies' mouths when they're upset, or because we use food as a reward, etc (she will receive no sucker when she's older and she gets shots! A sticker is fine). I find myself gravitating toward chocolate cake when I'm not feeling great (like today! I need some cake!), and I know it's bad but I can't help it. I don't eat chocolate cake every time I'm upset, but man do I want to.

She probably wouldn't have eaten even if I'd offered her anything. She was too busy yelling, and then too busy sleeping.

3 comments:

  1. So all the stuff I said about how there's no verifiable cause for Autism and how freaking out over everything can also be damaging and all you heard was "baby raper"?

    :-|

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freak out on the inside! And if you can't definitively tell me what DOES cause Autism, then you can't definitively tell me what DOESN'T cause Autism.

    It's flawless logic; don't try to disprove me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no. Bad-mommy-molly strikes again! it appears i have failed yet another test. Case and point:
    -Jack got his hep b shot before we even left the hospital. I didn't even bat an eye at autism...or baby rapers.
    -He got the next round of shots as early as 7 weeks. You didn't say this is bad, but I can only assume.
    -I shoved him on the boob immediately after the shot. looks like fat camp is in his future.
    -I loaded him up with baby Tylenol for 24 hours before heading to the doctor's appt AND for 24 hours after. ugh, oh. looks like I might have created a Nancy.
    I am sure there are other things I also failed at from this post, but I don't want to be completely neurotic. So for now these failures will suffice.

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments