Saturday, June 25, 2011

Camping!

Earlier this week, Jake found out his work schedule for the weekend. Friday off! So we decided to go camping with some friends of ours at a nice little place called Tanner's Flat in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Early Friday afternoon, our friends left their house and headed up to Tanner's Flat. Jake and I were still getting ready, and planned to meet them up there.

We got a call.

"Hey, so we're at Tanner's Flat, and all of the camping areas are reserved or occupied. The guy says there's one group that might be leaving in a couple of hours, but they don't really know for sure. So... what do you want to do?"

Uhhh, go back in time and reserve a spot in advance.

But seriously, we opted to go camp somewhere else. I forget the name. Jake and I left our house and stopped at the store to get some water, and we got another call.

"Hey! We were on our way to Sum Nutha Camping Spot, and we got a call from Tanner's Flat. A spot opened up! They're holding it for us. Meet us there"!

Hooray!

So off to Tanner's Flat we went, and camped in a very nice little spot.


I haven't camped in a long time, and I forgot one fact about camping: it will always get colder than you expect it to. It was in the 40s in the middle of the night (when Camille woke up and decided this camping thing was bullshit and decided to scream for hours), and I discovered that when a sleeping bag is rated to 15 degrees, they mean it will keep you alive at 15 degrees, not keep you warm at 15 degrees.

Nighttime cold aside, it was a great trip! And beautiful!

Our spot.

Tent.




Camille is trapped in a glass box nylon tent of emotions!



Cleaning bugs out of Jake's hair.

OK, there are a lot of pictures of the nearby river and its little feeder streams. Reason being, it's snowmelt time, and the rivers runneth over. There were a few campsites closed due to flood risk. Many of these pictures were taken at those closed sites. I'll indicate which.







Mountain baby.

A waturfall.

The next few pics were taken at a closed campsite. Behold the rushing rapids!












I think this rock kinda looks like a turtle's head.

This was taken at a different closed campsite. I'm taking the picture from the spot where the tents are supposed to be pitched, so if a rock came loose or something, it would get flung right into the tent area. Or possibly, the waterfall would decide that, instead of turning left, it should just go straight and drown some hapless campers.




Back at our campsite, and Camille is returned to her tent.


Hobo dinners!

No camping trip is complete without s'mores.


Mountain man breakfast and some coffee.

Another closed campsite. We went to this one this morning right before we left. The water was almost touching the fire pit!






And now it's time for "Jake Gets Both Artsy and Fartsy."













I gotta hand it to Utah: there's some pretty boss nature stuff around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I <3 Comments