Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Name Game

Over on the right side, I have listed the names that Jake and I have agreed on thus far.

Not many. I know.

We'll both get on the Interweb and look up names, suggesting the ones we like. For 99% of said mentioned names, the response is normally, "That name sounds stupid."

Like, Jake suggested Avner for a boy. He did so after watching a movie about some Israeli assassin, whose name was Avner. I said no to Avner, on the grounds that it reminded me of a pig for some reason. I don't know why, but when I hear Avner, I think of a pig. I'm not naming my kid after a pig.

I suggested Gallagher for a boy. Jake said no. I don't think he gave a real reason, other than he didn't like the way it sounded. Fair enough.

For a while, we had Naomi on the girl list. I think it's a pretty name! Jake did, too, until he figured out that if you spell Naomi backwards, it says "I moan." Then he decided he didn't like it. Sigh.

I think our short list of names is better than a really long one, though. We don't have much to narrow down. And I'd be happy with any of those names, really. That's why they're on the list: because we can both envision screaming that name at a wayward child.

Middle names have already been selected, but are not listed anywhere. They're a surprise! And I think when Jake and I finally get the names completely figured out and agreed upon, we're not going to tell anyone. I don't want anyone to judge the name I pick, first of all, and it's also another way for me to kind of keep this more personal for me. If only Jake and I know the name, and are the first ones to know the gender, it makes it more special. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Middle name is something hippiefied like Flowersong or Goatmilk isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I <3 Comments